My curiosity with being vegan means that whenever I see something that is suitable for vegans and I've never seen it before I get rather excited and I have to buy it so I can try it.
A couple of months ago I was in a local health store and came across this:
I was pretty dang excited.Vegan - Check
Tofu - Check
Can - Check
Yes that's right I was super excited about finding tofu in a can. My experience with tofu so far has been nothing buy yumminess I have loved all the tofu dishes I have tried. I couldn't wait to try this.
Yesterday I got round to having a meal where I thought I could finally have that tinned tofu!
So I excitedly got the tin out of the cupboard and opened it. I was immediately hit by a smell. A smell that didn't make me think "hmmmmmm I'm hungry". More like a smell that made me think "uh oh this smells like cat food".
I fully peeled back the lid and looked inside. This is what I found:
After emptying out the contents, the tofu looked like flesh. Gone were the cute cubes or large blocks of tofu and here was flesh like jelly strips and cat food smelling tofu.I decided to try some as I'm always determined to like whatever vegan bits I find.
I had one small bit, hmmmm interesting...... lets smell it again...........urgh..... ok another taste.....
no it's definitely bad.
Braised Tofu in a can unfortunately gets the thumbs down. I wont be buying this again. I actually feel a little scarred for life. Although I'm glad I tried it. I think it's important to try new things.Still to test out is a can of faux duck and a can of nut luncheon, both vegan.
After yesterdays experience I'm a little worried about these............perhaps I'll wait a while hehe.

Hello! Sorry I haven't been around to read your posts, I will have a catch up in the next few days!
ReplyDeleteUgh, this looks disgusting! It actually makes me feel like retching, gross >_< You're very brave for trying it!
This post made me laugh :)
ReplyDeleteI tried it a few times when it first came out (around 2002), but realised I was enduring rather than enjoying. It certainly isn't visually or aromatically appealing ;)
Mock duck can be good, though the stuff in restuarants is generally better than the tinned type. Make sure you drain/rinse the contents, chop any large pieces then cook before eating. Ideally deep fry (or use a pan with 1cm heated oil), then eat with hoisin, cucumber and spring onion in pancakes.
@ Stefanie - Thanls for commenting :) Hope all is well!
ReplyDelete@Steven - Thanks so much for the tips. I'll definately make the yummy faux duck wraps :)
No problem - let us know how you get on.
ReplyDeleteI'm fearful for the success of nut luncheon experiment - I've been too scared to buy it!
oh no hehe
ReplyDeleteI'll go for duck first to build my confidence back up hehe.
I'll keep you posted on the nut luncheon :)
I liked Mock Duck when I tried it :)
ReplyDelete